Unable to Install

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:59 PM
 I've been unable to install this despite trying on 3 different systems (XP, XPx64,Win2003), what could I be missing?  I verified it successfully created the database at least once and I created the DB manually a few times, still fails.

Here is the end of the install log:

Action ended 15:47:21: PublishProduct. Return value 1.
MSI (s) (E8:AC) [15:47:21:739]: Doing action: VsTestHostCustom
Action start 15:47:21: VsTestHostCustom.
MSI (s) (E8:74) [15:47:21:739]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI924.tmp, Entrypoint: VsTestHostConfig
Action ended 15:47:21: VsTestHostCustom. Return value 3.
MSI (s) (E8:AC) [15:47:21:786]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (E8:AC) [15:47:21:786]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (E8:AC) [15:47:21:786]: Note: 1: 1402 2: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Rollback\Scripts 3: 2
MSI (s) (E8:AC) [15:47:21:786]: No System Restore sequence number for this installation.
MSI (s) (E8:AC) [15:47:21:786]: Unlocking Server
Action ended 15:47:21: INSTALL. Return value 3.
MSI (s) (E8:AC) [15:47:21:786]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
MSI (s) (E8:BC) [15:47:21:786]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
MSI (s) (E8:A8) [15:47:21:786]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
MSI (c) (54:B4) [15:47:21:786]: Back from server. Return value: 1603
MSI (c) (54:B4) [15:47:21:786]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (54:B4) [15:47:21:801]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Deleting SECONDSEQUENCE property. Its current value is '1'.
Action ended 15:47:21: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
MSI (c) (54:B4) [15:47:21:801]: Doing action: FatalError
Action start 15:47:21: FatalError.
Action ended 15:47:23: FatalError. Return value 2.
Action ended 15:47:23: INSTALL. Return value 3.
=== Logging stopped: 9/17/2008  15:47:23 ===
MSI (c) (54:B4) [15:47:23:067]: Note: 1: 1708
MSI (c) (54:B4) [15:47:23:067]: Product: CRM 4.0 Performance Toolkit -- Installation failed.

If you need some other information to troubleshoot this, let me know.
Sep 19, 2008 at 8:54 PM
I was able to get this installed by using orca to remove the VsTestHostCustom step, but I would like to know what this step did and if there will be any issues with it not running during installation. (Or why it failed in the first place).
Nov 3, 2008 at 9:44 PM
I am getting same error. We are trying to install on XP with Visual Studio Team Suite 2008.
have you found out what was missing in the VsTestHostCustom?
Any words from dev team?
Nov 4, 2008 at 12:32 PM

I haven’t heard from the dev team, but I was able to move forward by removing that step (VSTestHostCustom) from the MSI and adding the ‘urlkey’ app setting to the VSTestHost.exe.config file (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE).  Mine looks like this after the edit:

<?xml version ="1.0"?>

<configuration>

<runtime>

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">

<probing privatePath="PrivateAssemblies;PublicAssemblies"/>

</assemblyBinding>

</runtime>

<appSettings>

<add key="urlkey" value="crm://CRMSERVERNAME/"/>

</appSettings>

</configuration>

Nov 4, 2008 at 9:22 PM
Thanks for the information. I am still populating sample data. I also found that RunPopulation.cmd only worked after adding following info.

SET WEBSERVER=<WEBSERVER>
SET ORGANIZATION=<ORGANIZATION>
SET DOMAIN=<DOMAIN>
SET USERNAME=<USERNAME>
SET PASSWORD=<password>
SET CRMUSERBASE=<basename>
SET CRMUSERSTART=<start>
SET CRMUSERCOUNT=<count>
Coordinator
Nov 8, 2008 at 12:38 AM
Edited Nov 8, 2008 at 12:39 AM
Hi,
 I apologize for posting a reply so late. I need to remind myself to come to codeplex from time to time to see the questions here. We are busy currently in the next release of the product. 

The CustomActions dll is unmanaged dll and fails to work when run on a system installed with VSTS 2008. This is because of SDK incompatability. The dll was developed in visual studio 2005 and it fails for VSTS2008. That problem has been fixed now and will be released in the next release. The custom action actually inserts the lines mentioned by kapilkelaiya which are,
SET WEBSERVER=<WEBSERVER>
SET ORGANIZATION=<ORGANIZATION>
SET DOMAIN=<DOMAIN>
SET USERNAME=<USERNAME>
SET PASSWORD=<password>
SET CRMUSERBASE=<basename>
SET CRMUSERSTART=<start>
SET CRMUSERCOUNT=<count>

in RunPopulation.cmd with the correct values picked during the msi installation. If you skip that step then you will need to manually modify the RunPopulation.cmd file with these values.

It also adds the node 

<appSettings>

<add key="urlkey" value="crm://CRMSERVERNAME/"/>

</appSettings>

in VSTestHost.exe.config file (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE) as already figured out by PTJCP.

If you add these two steps manually you should be unblocked for VSTS 2008.

Thanks,
 Adi.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:29 AM
Great info, thanks! I've Orca-ed the msi, and modified the RunPopulation.cmd and VSTestHost.exe.config files. When I run RunPopulation, the entities appear to be imported / published successfully, but hten I get the following errors:

C:\CRM 4.0 Toolkit\Binaries>DbPopulator\UserConfigGen.exe /domain:BWBCRM /webserver:10.11.103.8
1:5555 /userbase:administrator /password:xxx**2 /threadcount:1 /crmuserbase:crmuser /crmus
erstart:1 /crmusercount:1 /orgname:BWB

C:\CRM 4.0 Toolkit\Binaries>DbPopulator\dbPopulator.exe UserPopulate.xml
Creating entities for administrator
Unable to impersonate as user administrator with password xxx**2 for domain BWBCRM

dbpop Runtime is 37471 ms

C:\CRM 4.0 Toolkit\Binaries>DbPopulator\dbPopulator.exe DbPopulator\ProductSuite.xml
Creating entities for crmuser1
Unable to impersonate as user crmuser1 with password xxx**2 for domain BWBcrm

dbpop Runtime is 8955 ms

C:\CRM 4.0 Toolkit\Binaries>DbPopulator\dbPopulator.exe DbPopulator\NestedSFAEntitiesWithState_
Custom.xml

dbpop Runtime is 8970 ms

C:\CRM 4.0 Toolkit\Binaries>DbPopulator\dbPopulator.exe DbPopulator\ReportsData.xml

dbpop Runtime is 23494 ms

Can anyone help me out here? I know the domain, user & password are correct. CRM is running on a VPC and I am executing CRMPerfToolkit from my host (XP) box. I can browse CRM from the host using the same administrator account.

Thanks,
Neil

Nov 29, 2008 at 7:55 AM
Replying to my own post with a little more info...

In dbPopulator.ImpersonatedCreator.ImpersonateUser(), the call to

bool

successfulLogon = LogonUser(m_userName, m_Domain, m_userPass,3,0,out hToken);

always fails, yet I know that the user, domain and password are correct, and the user is a member of the Administrators group on ym VPC image.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neil

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:56 PM
Are the VM and your workstation in the same domain?  I ran the DB Population directly on the VM when it wasn't in the same domain as my workstation.  Worked fine when I ran it on a trusted domain.
Dec 2, 2008 at 6:12 AM
Thanks PTJCP.

When I executed DBPopulator on the VPC I was able to get some records created, although there was an "Argument out of Range exception: 'maxValue'" when the reports xml script was run.

I still have trouble when I try to run a test from VS2008, because the code cannot connect to the SQL Server on the VPC (this is obviously an authentication issue related to being in a different domain).

So my take away from all this is the client machine(s) need to be in the same / trusted domain as the CRM Server (which probably wouldn;t be the case for most VPC setups).

Thanks again,
Neil